Pages

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Lesson Planning - Component 5



Assessment (Formal and Informal) and the Role of Feedback


My rationale for studying this component is that it doesn’t matter how much time a teacher spends on lesson planning if the students are not fully learning all of the concepts that are being taught. It is therefore an absolute necessity that the teacher must incorporate some of their classroom time into assessing the knowledge a student has retained from a lesson before proceeding.

I have learned from my life experiences, that if a concept is misunderstood or simply not learned, the next step in the progression of learning the subject will be lost and further learning will come to an abrupt halt. At this  point a learners confidence and satisfaction deteriorates rapidly if allowed to continue. This can be avoided by continuous assessment and rectification as need be.

My knowledge of this will greatly improve my instructional practices by not just assuming that the learners are ready to move on.

In the article sourced below, there are 37 informal assessment techniques. I found many of these exceptional assessment strategies but not all relate to the demographic in my field.

Source;

Informal Assessment Strategies: A - Z for the Math Class
Dr. Chris Moersch
LoTi Connection

No comments :

Post a Comment